Tuesday, July 31, 2007

RationalLies

To rationalize is to tell ourselves rational lies so that we believe them.

I sometimes have epiphanies in the shower. An odd place, I know, but they come whilst I scrub various appendages nonetheless. A long while ago, I was pondering the idea of being someone who I'd previously been with. He was/is a good man; I wouldn't been with him otherwise, but as much as I loved him and yearned to be with him again, something held me back time and time again. And then it came, amidst the rinse, lather, and repeat stage of my shower, a small, yet powerful voice that said simply, "No."

Instead of listening, I ignored and rationalized. He's a good man. He makes me happy. His mouth is incredible. He's the only one who wants me... My mind continued to race for a few days: luckily, I did not act on anything, especially mine own wants. After a few more rationalizations and a few showers where I committed to not think, I lapsed into the scent of my Zest - that's when it came. I thought about what my life, marriage, children - the whole enchilada - what it would all be like with him. Do not marry him. He WILL sexually abuse your children.

I couldn't believe my mind. I didn't want to believe the voice, but deep down, I knew it was true. Marrying this man would lead to a disaster of eternal proportions. I refused to listen for weeks again. I knew this man, this man that I loved, couldn't possibly be capable of such a thing. I wanted what I wanted and what I wanted was him, and to no longer be alone.

All the while the voice had been saying "No" and I'd been saying "Yes." Then I took the shower that saved me. I'd rationalized so much for so long that the voice said, "Okay. Do what you want to do."

One of the most hollow feelings in the world is what followed. I, a woman of God who is supposed to follow The Spirit at all costs and at all times and in all places, had just rationalized the safety of my own children away. I was so ashamed of myself, and to a certain extent, still am, that I would put my wants over the safety of children - my children.

I do not know if this man will ever be a sexual offender. I honestly doubt that he will. I think that my experience was a lesson for me and me alone. This experience showed me what it would be like to doubt the Spirit, my intuition, and simply live by the wants of my heart, without realization of what my current actions will have upon people in the future. Rationalization to this extent will never happen again in my life - ever.

I pose these thoughts and this deeply personal experience not to show the benefits of a highly scented soap and steamy water (although I think I can speak for most when I say that this is a good thing), but to question. How often do I rationalize? How many times have I? Don't worry, those two candy bars won't make your butt jiggle anymore. Spend the money on the shoes - you've had a horrible day. Ignore your head; it's what you really want.

I'm not married. I'm not even dating anyone. But I am happier now than I have ever been. I've been given an opportunity to view what eternity might be like if I gave into every one of my desires. I will then wait; wait until I find exactly what I'm looking for until I don't have to tell myself rational lies anymore.

3 comments:

grburbank said...

Everyone rationalizes everything all the time--don't blame yourself. But you were able to get past the rational lie which is important. And because you don't have children yet, they are an abstract, and not living, breathing human beings. I am confident that once you have children you will give them their proper priority--which is not to say that it will always be easy. Kudos for your honesty!

r said...

Sarah, I absolutely love that you are a deep thinker, but there is a point when we must stop and say, "Self, this is just a thought and no more." Now, I realize that we could go into the whole "thoughts are/can be a reality" but let's not because it's not really the focus anyway, is it? The focus is understanding yourself, where you are, and all the things that contribute to that volume that is you.

Yes, I agree, "lifeasabox," everyone rationalizes everything all the time, even things untrue. This rationalization allows us to feel comfortable with decisions we have made, especially when the rationalization disregards other perspectives, or even, truth.

So, the truth, Sarah, is that your mind is as Thomas Payne said, your own church. That is, you are free to explore everything there but like church, you will probably struggle with giving yourself the grace you will need as you do some honest exploration.

Fortunately, you have committed friends that will not blow smoke up your a$$. You have real friends with whom you share that rare thing of reciprocity. So, stand up in your "church" and shake your a$$ and talk and scream and swear and love and hug because with "church" you get out what you give. And you my dear friend give honesty & love & understanding & laughter & songs off your MacBook. The point is, you don't just take, you give.

Miss Merrianne said...

It's amazing how you always say things I need to hear. I needed to hear about rationalizing. I do that all the time because I have a ahrd time accepting the truth. I think that it is part of the process we go through in times of stress. Since we are stressed more then some, we do it often. But to acknowledge it is the bigger step. I sometimes acknowledge it even when I am doing it, but raltionalize against it. I'm all messed up.
You are so amazing, and somewhere there is a immaculate man (anything less would not be good enough for you) who willnot only help you make beautiful babies, but be the perfect father for them. I'm just hope that i am lucky enough to be witness to all that.