Monday, August 25, 2008

Oh, Back to School! Back to School!

With my first day of school outfit hanging on my closet door and my backpack packed, I was far from springing out of bed this morning. A knot in my stomach grew and grew as I willed myself out of bed to be to my office on time. 


I love first days of school. Fall always brings a certain kind of zest and magic into my life that few other seasons do, except for Christmas. Christmas is the bomb dot com. Today was a very different first day of school for me. I don't actually start my student-y classes until tomorrow - Native American Lit - and today, well today was my first day teaching my very own class - ever. 

When I got to my office, I got that not so fresh feeling, you know, like the feeling one gets when missing the last step and crashing into the wall at the bottom of the stairs like an idiot. But the thing was, I had everything done. Syllabus, check. Copies of policies and homework, check. Note cards, check. I was all ready, but I was really not ready.

As the first few students trickled into LA 216, they looked more trepidatious than I felt, and after about two and a half long minutes of them staring expectantly at me, I started my first class - and it was amazing!

I don't know how many details I can share without infringing on the law or something, but I really like this whole teaching bit. I think it's really going to work out for me! Woot Woot!

8 comments:

grburbank said...

I also love the first day of school and fall is my favorite season (except sometimes summer is). I would have been terrified to teach my own class, so I'm glad you had an amazing experience!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you and proud of you for diving into what you love. You are amazing!!! Teach them well La Rue! And I know you will!!! <3 your face!!

-Nat

Sarah said...

Congrats on your first day La Rue! Are you teaching college? I love teaching my little 12 and 13 year olds, I don't know if I could do college? Did you get your masters???

Anonymous said...

I'll bet you're an awesome teacher. I'd love to be in a class you taught.

Chelsea Lane said...

I'll feel a little like your mom if I say this, but... I'm very proud of you. :)

Andria said...

Our first days sound rather similar, except I think my terrifying 2.5 minutes actually lasted for about 25. I didn't know it was possible to trip over my own tongue so many times before I remembered to take a deep breath and start doing what I love.
Congrats on starting your dream!

Kristen Weller said...

Hooray! I love back to school time too. You are awesome. Teaching college and everything! Wow. So neat. Good luck with everything. Oh- and thanks for reaffirming that Hogwarts is real!

telemoonfa said...

La Rue,

Hi, this is Ben Bird, your fellow LDS NAU ENG GA/TA! I saw the link to your blog on the mass email you sent out to all the NAU ENG GAs/TAs, so I went to your blog and your blog is cool. Really cool.

I have a blog too. It's at telemoonfa.blogspot.com.

See you later.

Sincerely,
Ben Bird