Monday, October 20, 2008

No Longer on the Cusp of an Anxiety Attack

I know. Yay me!!! Right? Life is beginning to even out and I know longer have t
he feeling that suddenly life will implode.

Okay. Long time since my last post. But now I know why C.
 Joe was flustered for much of the past two years. Grad school is tough. I want to cry a lot. I want my mommy and a blankie and the amount of coke slurpees I ingest on a weekly basis has increased since that fateful day I found the Maverick in West Flag.

Here's a quick update on life, as I'm sure in future posts I'll return to those rants you all know and love so well.

Since being in Flagstaff, I've turned into quite the party trick. And no, not that way. I'm quite the Mormon enigma in the English department. Here's a list of things that have been said to me:
"You're Mormon?! But... you seem so sane."
"You're Mormon?! But you dress normal... and you're cute."
"I knew this Mormon once. Yeah... he/she was awful/terrible/judgmental." (To which I responded, "Yeah. Me too.")
"Are you Irish? Oh no. You can't be Irish. You're Mormon."
"Yeah. One time, on Wikipedia, my brother changed all the L.D.S. entries to read L.S.D." (Admittedly, I chuckled at this one, and then used it to show that Wikipedia is NOT a credible source.)
"So how many sister wives do you have?"
"All Mormons do is spawn, Spawn, SPAWN!" (This last one being said in front of my entire Sex, Politics, and Reproduction class. Everyone, including my professor, started laughing. Then it was pointed out that I was Mormon. It was worse than the time I was asked if Mormons have horns.)
Besides all of these comments, and the others like it, stem from ignorance, they have been opportunities for me to stand up for myself and reaffirm my faith. I've been struggling with my membership in the church for about the past year, and it's nice to finally know that I do believe, otherwise, I wouldn't say anything at all. 

I would also like to point out that these thoughtless, unlearned comments are of the minority. Most of my friends, which is why they are labeled thus, are curious and supportive and wonderful. I go out to the bars to socialize and dance, and they buy me drinks in the form of cranberry juice. They understand my informed decisions just like I understand theirs. 

So, here's the part where I break the flow and do a quick rapid fire. 

I haven't liked living in Flag. I have not liked going to school. I miss home and my family. 

I went home this past weekend for the first time in two months. I almost cried when I got to Cedar. Through conversations with wonderful people, I realized that I could either wallow in my pity, or I could do something about it. 

I got back to Flag on Monday, which was my 23rd birthday. I felt refreshed and recharged and ready to apply myself with a new fervor. I only have three semesters left after this one, so I might as well make them worth it. 

When I went out with some friends Monday night to celebrate my exit from my mother's womb, for the first real time since moving here, I felt loved. There's a lovely group of ladies in my program and we lunch every Friday after class. A few of them came out to dinner and it was great. Since I returned, I realized I have not made a wrong decision. I made a decision that put me in a challenging, new position and I must act and adapt instead of react and whine.

The point is this: we may not be in the best of circumstances, but this is it, so why not smile and decide to be happy?

Anyways. Parting shots:
Listen to Explosions in the Sky. The song "Your Hand in Mine" might just change your life.
Spending a birthday at the Dinosaur Museum in Lehi is a fantastic way to celebrate life.
Being a teacher is the best job EVER! Especially when a student tells you you're kick-ass.
I think I like being Mormon.
Kissing is awesome!
Frisco Street Grill is my new, favorite restaurant. Come visit! I'll take you there.
Raft down the Grand Canyon. It's phenomenal. 

3 comments:

grburbank said...

I'm glad you've found your balance again. And one would think that Arizona would have a large population of Mormons--not on the same scale as Utah--but still. I hope your social network continues to grow and deepen. And yay for your new make-out buddy!

It was SO great to see you! Love you long time.

Andria said...

Teaching is the best job ever, huh! I am so constantly amazed by the writing my students produce, and it feels like such a privilege to have them share it with me.
Glad you are getting your feet beneath you, girly. Of course, those feet had better be clad in red heels. :)

Kristen Weller said...

Good to hear that things are looking up. I forgot you were in Flagstaff. Funny story to share: My dad did a summer class or 2 there when he was getting his Master's degree many moons ago. When the fam went down to retrieve him and bring him home, he had a mustache. Yes- my dad with a mustache. So Flagstaff can do strange things to you. I wish I had a pic of that... Oh- and happy belated birthday friend!