Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Nothing Right

Do you ever have those times when you feel like a complete and utter loss as a human being? 


I thought I was done feeling this way in regards to teaching this past semester as I had turned in my grades on December 17th. Oh, nay nay. I checked my e-mail this morning, after a 6 and a 1/2 hour grueling campaign to beat the Germans and Japanese in Call of Duty 4, and found a message from one of my students questioning the grade received. 

I immediately had that not so fresh feeling and rifled through my grade book and found I had shorted all of my students 50 points, or 5% of their grades. Luckily, my mistake only changes a few grades, so I can save some face... but not all of it. 

This, of course, after I had to admit to 5 students I had lost their papers about a month ago. 

What shall I do, you may ask? Well, I shall not worry about it at 3 am and I shall deal with it in the morning, contacting the very same bosses to tell them I've made yet another boo-boo.

Why? Why am I an idiot? And why, for the love of everything good and pure, can I NOT do math?

3 comments:

Kristen Weller said...

I'm sorry! Luckily you are not some dry old man, so it will be hard for those students to harbor mean feelings against you for too long... At least you are still alive after your semester of teaching!

Nagi said...

Given that it's your very first semester teaching, they ought to give you some slack. As for the math, well, we were English majors for a reason, right? Math gives me hell in law school too.

r said...

I don't know Kristen, but here here to the "dry, old man" comment! I know from experience.

Sarah, you are too hard on yourself! Really! People everywhere make mistakes. Your meager situation still allows for you to be honest about it ;) :D All will be well, I am sure, my friend.