Friday, January 16, 2009

Book List

Okay, I said I wasn't going to post again for a few days, but many of you wanted to know my books list for my independent study course. So, I will be reading:

One Hundred Demons – Lynda Barry (Paired with the film "Lady Vengeance" or any other in the trilogy)
Fun Home: A Family Tragic Comedy – Alison Bechdel
Palestine – Joe Sacco
American Born Chinese – Gene Luen Yang
Same Difference and Other Stories – Derek Kirk Kim (Paired with the film "Oasis")
Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea - Guy Delisle
The Alcoholic – Jonathan Ames
Epileptic – David B.
Inconegro – Mat Johnson (Paired with "Alien")
Boondocks – Aaron McGruder
Stuck Rubber Baby – Howard Cruse
Indian Summer – Milo Manara (Paired with the film "Smoke Signals" or "The Business of Fancy Dancing")
La Perdida – Jessica Abel
Berlin: City of Stones – Jason Lutes (Paired with "The Lives of Others")
Exit Wounds - Rutu Modan

I avoided some of the more obvious choices for this category, Maus, Persepolis, Jimmy Corrigan, Shortcomings, Ghost World, etc., because I had already read them, some multiple times. When I designed the course, I was looking to expand my base knowledge instead of relying on prior experience. Not to say that I wouldn't love to re-read those because they are wonderful and engaging.

If any of you have more suggestions, I'd be totally open! I'm still looking for films that can be married to the books, hopefully, it's apparent what my system is, but I'm mostly just reading the books and updating my Netflix queue.

1 comments:

r said...

Oh! I totally forgot about Eagle vs. Shark and one of Kate Winslet's first films (her first maybe?), Heavenly Creatures.