Friday, October 12, 2007

Al got a Nobel...Really?

As I was searching msn.com today for the latest in "Undressed!", my eyes almost exited my cranium at an impressive rate of speed as I saw today's headlines. Was it Britney's most recent fashion/child/life faux pas that caught my deserving attention? Or perhaps J.Lo's booty finally broke the camel's back in pant apparel? Did Paris once again flash her cooter to the teaming paparazzi? I answer resolutely - Nay!

Not even the wonderful and joyous world of celebrity blunders could cause me to nearly asphyxiate on my Halloween sucker - "Al Gore receives Nobel Peace Prize for his work in global warming." I could scarcely believe what I saw or bring myself to click the link - but alas, I'm curious by nature. My eyes furiously and surreptitiously read line after line. The article "carefully" outlined the former Vice-President's work and efforts in the names of all things greenhouse, global, and environmental. (This is the part where I state that I vehemently agree that precautions need to be taken to ensure the safety and well-being of the environment and that I agree that people, myself included, are not doing our part to protect the Earth.) But does Al really get a Nobel Peace Prize? Really? The man made a f***ing movie - and not even a good one at that. I believe that at the halfway mark of the film I was in the midst of pinching my eyelids with my thumb and fore-finger to see how many times I could snap said eyelid back onto my eyeball. In utterance of The Bluth Family, "Come on!"

I cringe at the fact that for all time Albert Gore will have the title of Oscar Winning placed in front of his name, but to have Nobel laureate as well? To know that his name will be placed among names as Elie Wiesel, Nelson Mandela, and Doctor's Without Borders makes me cringe all the more. Now, do I realize that the group sponsoring Al Gore also received the prize? Yes. But will they get the press and receive just recognition? No. What about the producers of "An Inconvenient Truth"? What about the director? What about the scientists and experts that Al got the information from in the first place?

I'm sorry - actually, no I'm not - but I find this concept as laughable as I would if President Bush was to receive the prize for his efforts to exponentially further knowledge and awareness of how to correctly pronounce words in the English language, or if Bill Clinton received the prize for his work on a book called "Fidelity 101: Reasons to Not Cheat on Your Wife and Why Marriage is Sacred."

I know that I seem like I'm on a high-horse here - it's the plight of an English Major - but I find the fact that Al Gore lives in a 10,000 square foot mansion, which had to be built of wood and has to be somehow powered, and has a posse of vehicles, which are certainly not environment-friendly, suspect. I'm pausing to search for the right words here - oh yes, here they are - Al and Tipper (do parents think before they name?) were found to have power bills in excess of $1,200 a month - a month! Despite the fact that this amount is more than I make in a month, I believe my power bill was $38 this month and there are three somewhat moderate to moderate maintenance women living in my house - Come on!!!

I don't know why this irritates me so, but it does. Al Gore - Nobel Prize Winner. Bravo Norway.

8 comments:

grburbank said...

I believe it's Sweden.

Anonymous said...

It's funny that you blogged about this. You're my hero. When I heard the news this morning I was thinking the same thing- WTF????

Ms. La Rue said...

Actually, it could be Sweden or Norway, but in this case the Norwegian Officials awarded Al Gore the Nobel Peace Prize.

Andria said...

Hrm... I guess we should be happy that the Nobel went to the same gentleman who created the internet?

Good blog, chick. You got a great rant going on, plus you did it in such a manner that people who don't necessarily share your political viewpoint wouldn't just shut down and stop reading.
Just a suggestion, but have you ever looked into doing opinion editorials? I wrote them for five years, and I can tell you it is a ton of fun if you have a thick enough skin to handle the criticism.

r said...

Now know that I am not criticizing you, Sarah, but I think he got the prize because he brought attention to something that is truly important in our lifetime and will be even more so in my children's and your children's lives.

Global warming is part of the geologic cycle, but we are living in the 21st century and using 19th century methods of fueling power. There really is no excuse for our country, the wealthiest and (nearly the most) technologically advanced, and truly, the most individually enabled people to be so...wasteful and greedy.

I must say, too, that one thing that disappointed me about the culture of Utah is the general acceptance of using the land at will with little to no regard for it. Recycle. Recycle. Recycle. It is inconvenient, but like most inconvenient things, it is worth it. Eventually.

I don't particularly like Whiney Al, but his film wasn't made to entertain, nor was it made with an Oscar or a Nobel in mind. It was made with the contributions of many (and like the film of the Oscar winning director doesn't get one just cause the director did) because they cared about informing and impacting without show and glitz and brigh lights. Sometimes us Lit & Film people have to turn down our entertainment/philosophizing jones and just...listen.

Lots of love you 22 year-old.

Chelsea Lane said...

I was going to leave some super enthusiastic comment about how I am right there with you, but after reading the comment from our wonderful balancing friend right above me... I feel less enthusiastic. Leave it to the two of you to once again make me think just a bit more. Love you.

Matthew English said...

Love the rant...when it comes let it role. Are we so lazy as a society that all it takes to win a Nobel prize is a movie. Let me guess, he drove his hybrid across the country on his promotional tour too.

It is comforting sometimes to get in a shot at both sides.

Anonymous said...

Well said.