Wednesday, October 24, 2007

This is Halloween

I knew that you’d be here tonight.
There is no rhyme or reason to knowing this -
I just knew.
Knew that there would be a
Knock Knock.
You’d come sit casually on the couch.
Both of us would ignore the weight of the past.

Funny how I knew we’d talk about Halloween.
About costumes
About frivolous details
About caramel apples and cheap movies
I knew you’d still want to wear the same costume as last year.

Note To Self:
I have to remember to tell you there shouldn’t be repeat costumes.

I knew that after you left
I’d wonder if you still think of us.
I still do,
even though I don’t want to.
I knew I wouldn’t want to think
about last year and the unconvincing costumes we wore,
the caramel from the apples that wet stale around Thanksgiving,
the day the costumes finally wore out at Christmas.

I knew that I wouldn’t want any of it,
none of the memories,
none of us.
None of the details or the holidays or the costumes.

Knock Knock.
It's almost Halloween.

5 comments:

r said...

Sarah Sarah.

I wish I could tell you, "You'll get over that person. There will be a day that you will never ever think of him." Sadly, I cannot.

You probably think of that brief time as the sweetest in your life, when what you are really remembering is a brief sweetness as a time in your life.

One day you will be with someone who doesn't use your intellect, your solid spiritual compass, your beauty, your body for himself in such an utterly selfish* way. I can't wait to meet that man, hug him, and whisper in his ear, "You are so fortunate," to which he will reply "Yes, I am."

*Asterisk inserted because there are somethings in which we engage that may have "selfish" roots, but are ultimately mutually beneficial ;) ;)

Ms. La Rue said...

I don't know if I would consider it the sweetest time of my life. Nonetheless, the time was well spent no matter the outcome because of the growth experienced, the knowledge ascertained, and love felt. The down-side to obtaining wisdom that alters a lifetime is that we must experience the very core of humanity, ourselves, and trial.

Becoming more wise, more empathetic, and more aware is wonderful, remembering how we got there is not always such a sweet experience.

grburbank said...

Fantabulous poem and post! (I just saw Wicked so I believe in creating my own words!) It's so haunting, but then this is Halloween.

Much love and I've missed you!

Anonymous said...

I'M A MONSTER!!!!

Sar, I love ya! (and Buster!)

Maggie May said...

I looovveee.. caramel apples! :D