Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Click on the Notch in Time

I turned 22 this weekend. It's such a weird number to me - 22. There are no bells or whistles that can be attached to this number in my mind - but then, after one turns 21 there doesn't seem to be any exciting age coming up for about, oh, the next 19 years. But I digress; the real reason behind the post is to highlight the events of my birthday - a colorful vacation from a recently pale existence.

This birthday was the first one that I've never been home for - a sad fact in the timeline of my story. We celebrated my blessed day of arrival a week earlier, which, much to my chagrin, left me no opportunity to actually unwrap a present on my day this year. That's okay though - my mom told me on Saturday that she got me a Barnes & Noble Membership, so really, it's the gift that keeps on giving. Also, I received "Pink," my favorite perfume, Season 2 of Arrested Development, a wicked-sweet color illustrated edition of Animal Farm, and a new book signed by the author - plus some dinero care of my Papa, which is always a good choice in my opinion.

Insert "adventuretime" now. On Saturday, my real birthday, some friends and I headed to Vegas, not to see strippers, gamble, club, drink, or any of the like, but to play at an Aquarium and on top of the Stratosphere. We crammed into Cammi the Camry and after Brian Regan was done, we were there man! Just so you know, In & Out was real good. We then, after some geographical dilemma-time, we were off to Shark Reef to play with the fishes - or just watch them. There were many good times to be had at the Reef. Although the entrance fee is somewhat cost-prohibitive, I would highly recommend Shark Reef. The Jellyfish were my favorite sight and I enjoyed touching the Stingrays - where only "One-Touch" touching was allowed (NO TOUCHING! would have been better) - but my absolute favorite was when we were in the area where the fish could swim over and one could see their undersides. A small boy, perhaps five or six, blatantly and ever so adeptly pointed out that he did, in fact, see a "girl" shark. There were also many good times to be had in the Shark Reef Gift Shop as well...maybe too many good times. Others would have to be the judge of that, but here is the proof of the aforementioned good times.

Then we were off to the Bellagio to watch the Fountains and because a member of the group wanted to go to Tiffany's. I must pause at this juncture and be forced to digress - I agree with Chelsea Lane. I never want anything from Tiffany's - and this is why. A.) I felt out of place. No matter how hard I fight it, I will always be a country girl at my roots. B.) It's ostentatious. C.) As we were waiting for said member to get done shopping, I over heard a conversation that went like this - "Oh, that one's nice." Insert nicely dressed - with obvious implications to money - woman. "Yeah, and it's only 19." Insert nicely dressed with - obvious short leash - man. 19. That's 19 thousand dollars. That's my graduate school sitting on her dainty hand. I cannot support an organization that would allow such obscenities to be commonplace (and no, I don't need a listing of organizations that I do support - I'm making a point here). D.) It's ostentatious. E.) There are too many security guards for anyone - even St. Paul - to feel comfortable. Point taken? Mmmm-k. Digression will cease now!

We saw and did many things fun and exciting things at the Bellagio too. There were the gardens, the chocolate fountain, and the water fountain, where ironically enough we watched a show to "Singin' in the Rain" which is the musical that we saw on my 19th birthday. Ooo, Ooo! I also forgot to say that I valeted my car for the first time in my life. And although the car did not come back within the acceptable five minute wait period, I would recommend valeting one's car on his or her birthday - it's just neat. I also gambled for the first time in my life. I put in a dollar, lost once, then won, and cashed out at $1.50. I am now on a 100% winning streak - I never have to gamble again.

Now, this is the part of the evening that I'd been waiting for. I've always wanted to go on the rides at the Stratosphere and we were going! Although ominous clouds brewed the entire night, my friends and I went on every single ride available, took embarrassing pictures, and basically laughed until we almost peed and/or vomited. I would also recommend this to anyone! - the riding not the peeing and/or vomiting.

Although there were sporadic eye-brow raising events, I will now insert the pictures and conclusions can be drawn and the chips can fall, or be cast, where they may.









The night ended at the Cheesecake Factory. It was good. We were tired and we went home.

When I got home, my roommates had thrown me a surprise party because one of them could not go with us. It was great! It's the first surprise party I've ever really been surprised about. Oh, and on a sidenote - if you ever take someone away for a surprise party, make sure she is wearing a bra; it's much less awkward for everyone involved.

Now that this has taken me entirely too long, caused me to skip class, and is entirely different than what I normally blog about, I'm going to work. Peace out yo!

3 comments:

KFinley said...

You are hilarious! Glad to see things are going well for you!

Monica said...

Well Happy Birthday!!! Oh and I am so jealous about In N Out!!! That is ultimately my favorite. It looks like you had a great time in Vegas!! I hope you said hello to my home town for me!!

Anonymous said...

One of the funnest weekends ever! Awhooo! -Allison